|UNSOLICITED EXHIBITION PROGRAM
2017-18 WINNING EXHIBITIONS
Full Results of 2017-18 UEP
submitted by: Katherine Rochester
(from Berlin, Germany)
Fellow Travelers initiates an encounter between people displaced by the deterioration of neo-liberal policies around the world. With elements of Afrofuturism, science fiction, and cosmology, it affirms that art is a tool for crossing boundaries and providing a refuge for voices of dissent.
submitted by: ANGL Collective
(from London, United Kingdom)
Rendered Cities examines the visual language and ideology behind the marketing of luxury property and development plans. Transforming the exhibition space into a construction site, the project highlights the peculiarity of digital architecture which is transforming cities worldwide.
|Light in Wartime
submitted by: Rola Khayyat
(from New York City, United States)
Light in Wartime explores the use of light both metaphorically and technically, in the context of photography during times of war. It features an array of photographic methods that reflect the blackout darkness and violence consistent with a city under siege.
|apexart’s Unsolicited Exhibition Program (UEP) is a month-long open call for focused, idea-driven, original group exhibitions, to be presented at apexart’s New York City location as part of the season program. Curators, artists, writers, and creative individuals, regardless of experience level, background, or location, are invited to submit their ideas online in a 500-word text-only proposal (no biographical statements, no CVs, no links). apexart does not accept images files.
A diverse jury of more than 150 people from around the world participate in a crowdsourced voting process. If you are not submitting a proposal, you may ask to participate on the jury. Following the open call period, apexart sends each juror a dedicated login to read and register votes for at least 50 proposals. apexart’s online process ensures that each proposal is anonymous and receives equal consideration by the jury. apexart staff does not interfere with or affect the selection of the winners.
After the jury period concludes, the organizers of the three highest-ranked proposals are notified and their exhibitions are announced as part of the upcoming season. They receive curatorial honorariums, funding for their exhibitions, and funding for exhibition-related public programming. The organizers work closely with the team to turn their idea into an apexart exhibition. All applicants are informed of their overall proposal ranking in an anonymous results page.
The Unsolicited Exhibition Program seeks to decentralize the selection process and eliminate problems associated with other juried open calls by making the system as meritocratic as possible and politics-free. With an average of more than 1,000 people submitting exhibition proposals each season and more than 300 jurors, we have developed a uniquely democratic program model that represents the interests of our audience and gives each participant an interesting learning opportunity.
- apexart provides a $6,000 Exhibition Budget, a $300 Public Programs Budget, and a $2,000 Curatorial Honorarium to the Organizer.
- apexart covers costs for insurance, advertising, publicity, documentation, design, printing, and mailing of the brochure, and the opening reception.
- apexart handles all of the exhibition logistics, including loan agreements, shipping, and installation.
WHAT DOESN’T QUALIFY?
- Proposals are not accepted for solo exhibitions or “artist projects,” where multiple people create a single artwork.
- The artists cannot be selected through an open call.
- Residency components are not considered part of the exhibition.
- Proposals cannot include any sales-related activities.
|PREPARING A PROPOSAL
- Proposals must be for an original group exhibition, presented for the first time, consisting of works by at least 3 artists.
- A significant component of the exhibition must be on view at apexart for the duration.
- Proposals cannot exceed 500 words and must be in English.
- Please do not include biographical statements, CVs, or links, as they will be removed. apexart does not accept image files.
- Exhibition dates are predetermined by apexart. Please do not include specific dates for the exhibition as they will be removed.
- No topics are off limits, and no ideas are too controversial.
- Proposals for the 2018-19 exhibition season will be accepted October 1-31, 2017.
- The apexart Franchise Exhibition Program will accept proposals for exhibitions outside of New York City from February 1-28, 2017.
- Interested in jurying a future apexart Open Call?
inquiry to email@example.com.